Friday, May 17, 2013

Secret Archive


It was cool to find out that there is an archive that holds political and historical artifacts from New York in my school.  La Guardia Community College has been a good experience but being able to actually visit this archive made my experience even better.  On my visit there I learned of New York’s major municipal archives, which was a lot bigger than the school archive.  Some of the artifacts that they had in my school were from private companies one of them being Steinway, a major piano company.  The majority of the artifacts consisted of business records, worker records and detailed technical analysis.  But of course we also had political artifacts.  We learned about Mayor Wagner and how he served three terms as mayor of New York.  We got to see some artifacts for ourselves in the Cold Room.  It was called the Cold Room because it was indeed cold.  The cool temperature was to preserve the artifacts.  The one artifact that caught my attention the most out of the many was the M1 riffle that was handed down to mayor Wagner.

No comments:

Post a Comment